Friday, February 26, 2021

A Strange Day

Today was a strange day. I woke up early and went to breakfast with a friend. By the time I got home, I felt really low and spent most of the rest of the morning in bed. I was dreading a paper I had to write. I went to the grocery store. When I got back, I worked on my Church History script for a couple of hours. My SIM card came in the mail so now I have a phone. When I finally got to the paper around 3:00, I was shocked at how easy it was to finish. I sent in my rough draft and rewarded myself with Netflix. A friend wrote to say that he'll be working for TheosU (the website I'm filming a Church History course for) full time, a good sign because it means the company is expanding. After dinner, I read a chapter from Never Split the Difference to my mom. Now I'm listening to a podcast about the poetry of Gerard Manley Hopkins. (You can listen to it here.) Hopkins was a poet I really appreciated in college. Here's his poem "God's Grandeur," which is one of my favorites:

The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wake the Pharaohs

"This ain't a song, Mr Gallagher, It's a meditation, a moan, a mantra - with a grinding, tarmac-digging, mind-cutter of a melod...