Thursday, February 4, 2021

Something No One Else Can Tell You

I watched a cheesy movie with my mom tonight that I hadn't seen since high school: Runaway Bride. 

Julia Roberts doesn't know who she is so she keeps ditching men at the altar. Richard Gere, a journalist from New York City who's assigned to write a story on her ends up falling in love with her. She ditches him at the altar before coming around and proposing to him at his New York apartment. 

It's a silly movie but something in it resonated with me. It's taken me a long time to figure out who I am and what I want to do (and even now, I don't fully know). I've gone through a lot of different opportunities for love but haven't ended up with anyone. The closest I got was in high school. Sometimes, I mope about still being single at 35. 

At other times, I look at my friends, many of whom are now divorced and I feel grateful. It's probably better to avoid the altar until you know who you are. If you don't know that, no one else will be able to tell you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wake the Pharaohs

"This ain't a song, Mr Gallagher, It's a meditation, a moan, a mantra - with a grinding, tarmac-digging, mind-cutter of a melod...